Servings: 6-8 Prep Time: 30 min. Cook Time: 1 hour 40 min.
This is a yummy and healthy summer salad, served warm or cold, with pita chips. You can replace the bulgur wheat with couscous if you have it already on hand and save almost one hour on cooking time.
• 1 cup(s) bulgur wheat
• 1/4 cup(s) lemon juice (fresh)
• 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
• 2 tsp kosher salt
• 2 lb chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1/2 cup(s) green onion(s), minced
• 1/4 cup(s) mint (fresh), chopped
• 1/2 cup(s) parsley (fresh), chopped
• 1 cucumber(s), diced
• 2 cup(s) cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Place the chicken breasts on a cookie sheet and coat with a little olive oil or cooking spray and kosher salt and pepper. Roast for 35 - 40 minutes at 350 degrees, until done. Let cool. Remove chicken from skin and bones and dice into medium sized pieces.
2. After you put the chicken in the oven, prepare the tabbouleh by pouring 1 1/2 cups boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Add the fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to stand at room temp for about 1 hour.
3. Chop the green onion, mint leaves, parsley, cucumbers (seeded), and tomatoes and set aside. Add 1 tsp salt and season with black pepper.
4. Mix all ingredients together, toss, and season to taste. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.