• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
• 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
• 1 1/2 tsp oregano
• 28 oz whole tomatoes, peeled
• 28 oz crushed tomatoes
• 2 lb ravioli
• 1 1/2 cup(s) mozzarella cheese (part skim), shredded
• 1/2 cup(s) parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano (or thyme) and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon, until the sauce is thickened and reduced to about 5 1/2 cups, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the ravioli (fresh or frozen) in a large pot of boiling salted water just until they float to the top (the pasta will continue to cook in the oven). Drain the pasta; return to the pot.
4. Toss the sauce with the pasta. Pour the pasta into a large gratin dish or 9 x 13 inch baking dish, and sprinkle with the cheeses. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.